Why our democracy is failing to tackle the horrific urgency of the climate crisis and the decimation of our eco-systems
Why is our democracy failing to tackle the horrific urgency of the climate crisis and the decimation of our eco-systems? In his new book, The Prostitute State – How Britain’s Democracy Has Been Bought, Donnachadh McCarthy, former Deputy Chair of the Liberal Democrats, argues that it is because a corporate elite have hijacked the pillars of Britain’s democracy. Exposed in his book are:
- The corrupt corporate lobbyists at the heart of our political parties.
- How corporate donors are buying peerages and seats in government and are hijacking our legislation.
- The links between the tax-stealing havens and the Labour, Tory and Lib Dem parties.
- How our media has been captured by 5 treasonous far-right billionaires and how it is being used to manipulate us.
- How the dark arts of the £2 billion political lobbying industry blocks the will of the voters.
- How our think-tanks, schools and academia are likewise being captured by corporate interests.
McCarthy argues “In the UK, the production of thought, the dissemination of thought, the implementation of thought and the wealth arising from those thoughts, are now controlled by a tiny, staggeringly rich elite, which means the UK is no longer a functioning democracy but The Prostitute State.” The Prostitute State has Four Pillars:
- A Corrupted Political System
- A Prostituted Media
- A Perverted Academia
- A Thieving Tax-Haven System
The Prostitute State has disastrously resulted in a flood of wealth from the poor and middle classes to the top one per cent. This stolen wealth is built on the destruction of the planet’s ecosystems, which are essential for humanity’s survival. This book is a clarion call for urgent action to rescue British Democracy and the mobilisation of civil-society behind A Great 21st Century Democratic Reform Act. For the sake of social justice and the very future of our planet, its voice must be heard. Publication Date by 3 Acorns Publications: October 2014 Printed Copies available from www.theprostitutestate.co.uk E-book version available from www.Lulu.com Notes to Editors:
- McCarthy is no longer a member of any political party.
- McCarthy’s resignation was demanded by Party President Lord Dholakia after he whistle-blew on the Lib Dems refusal to tackle corrupt corporate lobbying in the Lords.